Nestled in the middle of Mount Namsan and Buyongdae Cliff, the traditional village from Joseon dynasty is intoxicating with its preservation of old traditional Korean culture. Located in the city of Andong, about 2 hours ride from Busan and 3 hours ride from the capital city Seoul, endlessly, this village has staggered the visitors with its unique landscape and houses.
The moment I stepped into the world heritage site, the weather was cloudy and misty. Sometimes the sky started to cry, and stopped, and cried again. Usually I didn't like getting wet at all but turned out the rain has create an idyllic tone of the village itself. I immediately took a small boat crossing the Nakdonggang river then climbed to the top of Buyongdae Cliff until I found the astounding view of Hahoe Village.
|View from top of Buyongdae Cliff|
|Trekking path to Buyongdae Cliff|
The Pungsan Ryu clan who formed the village was one of the five powerful local familie of the Andong region which produced many notable politicians and scholars. The houses of Yangban Nobility are mostly made by timber-framed with tiled roofs, while commoners built houses of mud over timer framework and the roofs were thatched with rice straw. Complemented with irrigated rice paddies on the slope of the mountain, this landscape has never been more refreshing than the others.
|Houses in Hahoe Village|
Before leaving the village, I spared my time to watch the famous Hahoe Mask Performance. The performance is a combination of dance and drama, all the performers wear masks. Some of the performances are used in ceremonies, ritual dances, or theatrical plays. Korean masks are varies, moret than 250 types and shaped similar to human. Not far from the village, there is a mask museum with collection of masks all over the world.
- Bus number 46 runs up to ten times a day from Andong Bus Terminal to Hahoe Village, approximately 30-45 minutes (1200 won)
- Admission fee to Hahoe Village is 3000 won, mask museum is 2000 won, crossing the river by boat is 3000 won return.
- Mask performance schedule: Jan-Feb: Saturday and Sunday 2 p.m.-3 p.m. Mar-Dec: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday same time (free of charge)
- Some houses are opened for accommodation, so called "hanok stay" rates about 30.000-60.000 won. Click here for more information about the stay.
- In October you can visit International Mask Dance Festival showcasing all the masks from around the world.
- Attractions in Andong, Woryeonggyo Bridge, Bongjeongsa Temple, Confucian Schools.
Traveled in 28-30 November 2014
If you think the post is useful, kindly share this information by clicking the logo below. You'll be directed to your facebook or twitter.
Labels: South Korea